Wednesday, January 12, 2011

FB

Just about to go to bed, but really haunted by the recent acts of violence which feel much to close to home. My sweet co-worker, Josh, was shot in a random act of violence. He cannot move his legs. I know the Lord had Him in His hands. I just can't rationalize Josh not working with people and caring for patients. I trust that God will strengthen him (whether it be physically, emotionally, or both).
Then Congresswoman Giffords was shot and others killed in Tucson. I am still in shock and disbelief. The shooter's parents are elderly, and the father was crying in the street. Images such as this speak to the very core of my being. Such hurt. Such pain.
Why does God feel far away during these times? Where is He?

To deal with this sort of pain, I need help understanding it all. I need guidance with the questions of my heart. So, where do I go - to Facebook and read what a is written on John Lynch's wall. I pray God will have some answers through this really awesome, John the Baptist-type preacher. And, He provides...

This is what I read the other night on John's page:
It is a question from a Josiah Todd to John. read below...

Josiah Todd
i have a question for you sir. why is it that no matter how many times my parents or other christian figures in my life tell me "god is there" or "if you look for him you'll see he's there" that i feel more and more like god is just an empty word. i feel like he's not really there and every time i look for him i come up empty handed more discouraged than when i began... in my heart i know he's real but i feel like he just isnt ever there for me. and all these people are trying to force him on me and i cant even see any trace of him. why is that?


John's reply:
Josiah-well said. You are asking a question that many people, if they're honest, have asked many times. I love that you say "in my heart I know he's real". I think I can feel nearly the same. I know He's real, but He sure doesn't do this the way I thought He might. This art of knowing an unseen God will never be a formula. Its hard to explain the depth of my conviction and delight in Him, when I think of how many times He has not played by my rules, or solved things the way I hoped He might. But I find myself drawn to adore Him, I find myself pulled like a moth to light to Jesus, whether or not He ever causes me to feel anything, more than I am drawn to my own success or interests. He has become the most wonderful thought I carry, the One I trust when I trust nothing or no one else. How can that be? Do not let anyone ever "force him on you." I would love to talk more to you about this if you'd like to meet me on my message page. For decades I hated the thought of Him. At age 27, it dawned on me 1 day, what if He was who He said He was? And what if I lived as though He was embracing me and holding me in my darkest and best times. What if I could trust that He was completely for me, defending me, protecting me and thinking about me constantly. That is what He promises. That is what He bought for me when He paid for all my failure and hatred and self centered garbage at the Cross. So I live trusting that is how He feels towards me and how He is living towards me every moment...and here's the beauty! That trust causes me to experience His love!!! I know. Go figure.

1 comment:

Emmy said...

hey sis, now i know why it was meant for me to send e's cross late.it's b/c the book i'm about to finish is meant to be mailed to YOU too. it's called "I Will Carry You," & is about a woman who faces a horrible personal tragedy & how she struggles w/ these very questions you speak of. it will be to u SOON. love how He works sometimes & love YOU, em