Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Held

I heard this song ("Held" by Natalie Grant) on my way home today, and I seriously cried. I am not one to get emotional over songs, but it touched me because it summed up my amazingly emotional week as a nurse.

Being a nurse is my job, but it's also my gift and purpose. I know this so clearly now.

It's God working in me to touch others, and I feel it. I feel, especially this past week, I am truly His hands who HELD His children at their most vulnerable. It's an honor.

Then on a very, very sad note, one of my nurse's lost her Mom today. She died of cancer. The nurse is younger than me, and I assume her mother to be younger than my own. They are a beautiful family, both inside and out; faithful and loving. So this song also was emotional because I was praying for her as well and thinking about my own Mom, Grandma, and now me, as a mother. (tissue, please!)

So, this song is for my sweet patients, their families, and my dear nurse who lost her mom.

This is what it means to be held.
How it feels when the sacred is torn from your life
and you survive.
This is what it is to be loved,
and to know that the promise was
when everything fell we’d be held.
- from Natalie Grant’s album ‘Awaken’, song title ‘Held’


1 comment:

Danette said...

Great song.. and I have always loved natalie grant.. I showed chelsea the song (held) Months ago cause i loved it so much!! great meaning behind it..